Check out more of Nick on his podcast “Pod of Thunder” here: PodofThunder.com
How To Support Our Show:
- Leave us a 5-Star Review on Apple Podcasts
- Buy Merch at Our Etsy Store!
- Become a Patron on Patreon
- Donate on Paypal (Donate one time or click “make this a monthly donation” box)
Welcoming Our Newest Patron(s):
- $1 Tier – JJ Stannard
Thanks to Our Executive Level Patrons:
- The $20 “Shades of Deep Pockets” Tier
- Ryan M
- The $15 “Highball Shooter” Tier
- Alan Begg
- The Turn it up to $11 Tier
- Frank Theilgaard-Mortensen
- Clay Wombacher
- Mikkel Steen
- $10 “Some One Came” Tier
Social Media Update:
- Deep Dive Podcast Network
- Merch at Etsy Shop
- Apple Podcasts Reviews
- 2021-01-31 – Moodman79 – FIVE STARS!
- Deep Deep Purple!
- This podcast is a true deep dive into Purple. No stone left unturned in this podcast as Nathan and John explore those wider family tree branches (not sure that makes sense but i’m sure you get the drift!). These guys deserve your time as they explore one of the greatest bands Rock has ever seen!
Lead up to the Album:
- Ozzy was in LA auditioning guitarists and hired Randy after two auditions, though Ozzy was so intoxicated he seems to think it was only one.
- They two of them jammed with Dana Strum and Franki Banali.
- After auditions Ozzy returned to England where he met Bob Daisley.
- Management was reluctant to hire an American guitarist as the lineup was intended to be all British.
- It’s said they wanted to recruit Gary Moore but that he wasn’t interested in the project.
- Bass Guitar, Harmony Vocals, Gong – Bob Daisley
- Previously with Khavas Jute, Mungo Jerry, Widowmaker, and Rainbow, where we last left him on the show.
- Daisley and Ozzy met at the Music Machine in Camden Town in Northwest London.
- Ozzy suggested they form a band with Randy Rhoads having just met him in Los Angeles.
- Would later leave Ozzy with Kerslake to join Uriah Heep for two albums, “Abominog” and “Head First.”
- Drums, Percussion, Tubular Bells, Timpani – Lee Kerslake
- Previously in The Gods, Head Machine, Toe Fat, National Head Band, and of course with Uriah Heep through most of the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
- He met Ozzy by chance in an elevator at the Kings Cross Hotel in Australia and Ozzy decided to hire him for Blizard of Ozz.
- Worked with Ozzy on his first two solo albums until his mother became il in 1981 and he left the band to care for her.
- Guitar [All Guitars] – Randy Rhoads
- Recorded two albums with Quiet Riot.
- Ozzy was in LA auditioning guitarists when Dana Strum called Randy Rhoads to persuade him to audition.
- Rhoads said he never met Ozzy during the audition as he remained in the control room and told him he got the gig. It was Dana Strum to came out to tell him got the job. Rhoads said he played only a few riffs.
- Keyboards – Don Airey
- Covered extensively on The Deep Purple Podcast.
- Lead Vocals, Harmony Vocals – Ozzy Osbourne
- You know who Ozzy is.
- Engineer – Max Norman
- Producer – Daisley*, Osbourne*, Kerslake*, Rhoads*
- Mastered By – timtom*
- Chris Tsangarides was originally hired to produce the album but was fired as the band was unhappy with
Album Art & Booklet Review
- Photography By – Fin Costello
Thanks to Our Core Level Patrons:
- The Episode $6.66 Tier
- VACANT with Richard Fusey’s upgrade!
- $5.99 The “Nice Price” Tier
- Fielding Fowler
- $5 “Money Lender” Tier
- Greg Sealby
- John Convery
- Arthur Smith
- German Heindl
- Adrian Hernandez
- Kenny Wymore
- Jesper Almén
- Oleksiy The Perfect Stranger Slyepukhov
- James North
- Mark Hodgetts
- Kev Roberts – Paypal
- $3 “Nobody’s Perfect” Tier
- Peter Gardow
- Ian Desrosiers
- Mark Roback
- Anton Glaving
- Will Porter
- Andrew Meyer
- Duncan Leask
- Stuart McCord
- Dr. Gill Breese
- I Don’t Know (Daisley, Osbourne, Rhoads)
- Crazy Train (Daisley, Osbourne, Rhoads)
- Goodbye to Romance (Daisley, Osbourne, Rhoads)
- Dee (Rhoads)
- Suicide Solution (Daisley, Osbourne, Rhoads)
- Mr. Crowley (Daisley, Osbourne, Rhoads)
- Airey claims writing credits on this song.
- No Bone Movies (Daisley, Osbourne, Kerslake, Rhoads)
- Revelation (Mother Earth) (Daisley, Osbourne, Rhoads)
- Airey claims writing credits on this song.
- Steal Away (The Night) (Daisley, Osbourne, Rhoads)
Thanks To Our Foundation Level Patrons:
- $1 Made Up Name Tier
- Ells Murders
- Spacey Noodles
- The “Traumatic” Leaky Mausoleum
- Michael Vader
- Stephen Sommerville The Concerto 1999 Fanatic
- Raphael Choury (Raff Kaff)
- Spike, The Rock Cat
- JJ Stannard — NEW PATRON ALERT!
Reception and Review
- According to Daisley, “When the album was released the words ‘Ozzy Osbourne’ were in bigger print than ‘The Blizzard of Ozz’ which made it look like an Ozzy Osbourne album called The Blizzard of Ozz. Randy [Rhoads] was never one to rock the boat. He knew he was in a situation which was a good opportunity for him being relatively unknown, so when Lee (Kerslake) and I were ousted, Randy had no allies and the act became ‘Ozzy Osbourne’ and no longer a band.”
For Further Information:
- Sabbath Bloody Podcast – † Ozzy ’79 †
- Sabbath Bloody Podcast – † Ozzy ’80 †
- I Am Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne and Chris Ayres
- Comments about the show? Things you’d like us to cover? We’d love to hear from you. Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or @ us on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram.