How To Support Our Show:
The Deep Purple Podcast is 100% listener supported and ad-free! If you receive value from our show please consider supporting us!
- Leave us a 5-Star Review on Apple Podcasts
- Buy Merch at Our Etsy Store!
- Become a Patron on Patreon
- Donate on Paypal (Donate one time or click “make this a monthly donation” box)
- Donate to $DPPOD Using Cash App
- Support Us on Ko-fi
Brendan Ashbrook – Logo Designer
New Patron/Patron Upgrades:
- Fielding Fowler,
- Dear Nate & Jon. I have bad news. I can no longer support the D.P.P at the 6.99 level and Spike and Sugar Tits say they can no longer support the show at the 3.33 level each.
- The good news is that Spike and Sugar T have agreed to share my former New Nice Price Tier at 6.99. And I will be in my new tier, the “Hughes-O-Ween By 2033” Tier. The only catch is you must produce a Hughes O Ween Episode near Halloween in a year before 2033. You have 10 years, make it happen.
- When PoT joined Patreon, I hit the $20 Tier, so if I can give those boners $20, I can update and give you knuckleheads $20 from my family too.
- An additional list of demands may come later, but they will revolve around Pops Mottola taking over the show.
- Thanks guys!
- Fielding, Sammi, and Spike.
- Will Porter writes in, subject line “Here’s a duplicate name for ya!”
- Hi guys,
- nice as it is to hear my name in the patrons listings twice, you haven’t taken my name off the “Money Lender” tier since I “turned it up to $11”
- I’d also like access to the spreadsheet if I may. I want to do some fumbling with the tabs of my own.
- Will (PhDDP)
Thanks to Our Executive Level Patrons:
- The $25 “Uncommon Man” Tier
- Ovais Naqvi
- Purple Maniac
- The £15 “”Fifteen Squid” Tier
- Alan “Ain’t Too Proud To” Begg
- The £10 “Good Doctor” Tier
- Dr. Jill Breis
- Dr. Mike Kattan
- The Turn it up to $11 Tier
- Clay Wombacher
- Frank Theilgaard-Mortensen
- Mikkel Steen
- Will Porter, PhDPP
- $10 “Some One Came” Tier
- Ryan M
- Jeff Breis
- Victor Campos
- “Better Call” Saul Evans
- The “Hughes-O-Ween by 2033” Tier
- Fielding Fowler – PATRON UPGRADE!!
Apple Podcasts Reviews:
- Knut from Hell, Norway – 5 Stars!
- Highly recommended!
- If you are in favour of enjoyable rock anecdotes, this podcast wil be the seasoning that Purple-infects your brain. Even connoisseurs of the DP family can be impressed by the research that these gentlemen present in the presentation interesting analyses of the various tunes and themes. The Deep Purple Podcast maintains a standard worthy of the best band in the world. 5/5 Rock On! Knut from Hell, Norway
Deep Dive Podcast Network:
Check out our website to find other like-minded shows taking deep dives into individual songs, bands, and albums.
Lead up to the Album:
- Previous album was “Trilogy” which seems to get more critical acclaim. The Johansson brothers were on that as well with singer Mark Boals.
- He got into a bad car accident leading up to recording this album. He describes the accident in ana interview here:https://metalheadzone.com/yngwie-malmsteen-recalls-his-horrible-car-crash/
- “My car crash of 1987 was a horrible thing. But worse things happened to me at the same time. First, I had that car accident. Then my mother died. Then I was ripped off for all my money. It was just a horrible time, you know? But when you’ve been struck down that hard, you either come back stronger – or you don’t. If you put an obstacle in front of me, I will crush it, and I will go forward. I am impossible to stop. I cannot be stopped.”
- Bass Guitar – Bob Daisley (tracks: 1, 2, 8, 9), Yngwie J. Malmsteen* (tracks: 3 to 7, 10 to 12)
- Drums – Anders Johansson
- Swedish drummer and percussionist. Son of jazz pianist Jan Johansson, brother of Jens Johansson.
- In bands Silver Mountain and Hammerfall.
- Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar – Yngwie J. Malmsteen*
- Keyboards [All] – Jens Johansson
- Vocals – Joe Lynn Turner
- Producer [Produced By] – Jeff “Björn” Glixman*, Yngwie J. Malmsteen*
- Engineer – Jeff Glixman
- Produced Kansas, Kiss Paul Stanley solo album, Gary Moore, Black Sabbath’s “Seventh Star” album,
- Engineer [@ House Of Music] – John Rollo
- Worked at Konk studio.
- Worked on production for Bonnie Tyler, Joe Cocker.
- Executive-Producer – Jim Lewis
- JIM LEWIS, VP of A&R Jim has been a member of the PolyGram A&R staff since early 1n 1986. He is responsible for signing established acts such as The Moody Blues and Emerson, Lake And Powell; as well as newcomers Yngwie J. Malmsteen and TNT. Prior to working in A&R, he worked for six years as V.P. of Marketing and International Repertoire where he worked with PolyGram International originating acts such as Def Leppard, Tears For Fears, ABC, Big Country, Bananarama and many more. J im began his musical career playing in bands and major orchestras in the Metropolitan area. He 1s a graduate of the Jullliard School and holds an MBA 1n Marketing from Columbia University’s Graduate School of Business.
- Signed Bon Jovi, Prior to working in A&R worked on acts like Def Leppard and Tears for Fears.
- Mixed By [@ Bearsville Studios, Assisted By] – George Cowan
- Chief Engineer at Bearsville Studios.
- Mixed By [@ Bearsville Studios] – Mike Barbiero*
- Produced the soundtrack for “Serpico” in 1973.
- Mixed By [@ Bearsville Studios] – Steve Thompson
- Worked with Madonna, Whitney Houston (“I Wanna Dance With Somebody”), as well as many other clients including Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, John Lennon, and The Rolling Stones.
- Management – Larry Mazer
- Manager of Cinderella and The Steve Morse Band. Also worked with Kiss on the “Revenge” album.
- Management [Agency Representative] – Phil Ernst
- Booking agent for Cinderella, Molly Hatchet.
- Management [Agency] – ICM (2), Phil Ernst
- Management [Associate] – Roni Jane Feldman
- Also worked with Cinderella.
- Management [Business Management] – Bruce Kolbrenner
- Worked with Bon Jovi.
- Recorded By [@ Cherokee Studios, Assisted By], Mixed By [@ Cherokee Studios, Assisted By] – Scott Gordon
- Founded Triad Music which does scores for films and TV.
Album Art & Booklet Review
- Art Direction – Michael Bays
- Graphic designer who worked with a number of artists in the late 80s including James Brown, Bar-Kays, Kurtis Blow.
- Art Direction – Pat Drosins*
- Art director who worked with Tony! Toni! Tone! And Gorky Park.
- Photography By – Mark “Weissguy” Weiss*
- Design – Chris Thompson (18)
- Worked with may of the same people as Michael Bays and Pat Drosins.
Thanks to Our Core Level Patrons:
- The $7.77 KeepItWarmRat Tier
- Michael Vader
- The $6.99 “New Nice Price” Tier
- Spike the Rock Cat – PATRON UPGRADE!!
- Sugar T – PATRON UPGRADE!!
- The Episode $6.66 Tier
- Steve Coldwell
- Arthur Smith
- Anton Glaving
- The $6.65 “Almost Evil” Tier
- Kenny Wymore
- $5.99 The “Nice Price” Tier
- Robert Smith
- Peter from Illinois
- Michael Bagford
- Karl Hellberg
- The 60 Kroner “Scandinavian Nights” Tier
- Zwopper The Electric Alchemist
- Knut Morten Johansen –
- $5 “Money Lender” Tier
- John Convery
- German Heindl
- Adrian Hernandez
- Jesper Almén
- Oleksiy The Perfect Stranger Slyepukhov
- James North
- Mark Hodgetts
- Kev Roberts
- Percival Frequency
- Scott Zerns
- Cynthia Dube
- Raff Kaff
- Richard Fusey
All lyrics are written by Joe Lynn Turner; all music is composed by Yngwie Malmsteen.
- Rising Force
- Hold On
- Heaven Tonight
- Single release
- Dreaming (Tell Me)
- Bite the Bullet (instrumenttal)
- Riot in the Dungeons
- B-side to Heaven Tonight
- Deja Vu
- Crystal Ball
- Now Is The Time
- Faster than the Speed of Light
- Krakatau (instrumental)
- Memories (instrumental)
Thanks To Our Foundation Level Patrons:
- The £3 “The Aromatic Feed” Tier
- Simon Ford
- The $3.33 Half Way to Evil Tier
- Stephen Sharpe
- Duncan Leask
- $3 “Nobody’s Perfect” Tier
- Peter Gardow
- Ian Desrosiers
- Mark Roback
- Duncan Leask
- Stuart McCord
- Flight of the Rat Bat Blue Light
- Øyvind Fjeldbu –
- Runar Simonsen –
- JJ Stannard
- Ruinous Inadequacies
- John Miceli
- Michael Boyette
- The $1.71 “I Want My Own Tier” Tier
- Rich “Yngwie” Shailor
- The 10 kr “” Tier
- Carsten Lau
- The £1 Tier
- Lord Longford
- $1 Made Up Name Tier
- The “Sinking Force” Leaky Mausoleum
- Stephen Sommerville The Concerto 1999 Fanatic
- Hank the Tank
- Private Eyes
- Ashen Lionel
- Blackmore’s Tights
Bustin’ Out The Spreadsheet
Reception and Charts:
- Overall this was Yngwie’s best charting album reaching #7 in the Swedish charts, and #40 in the US charts, #19 in Japan and #27 in the UK. Later albums would chart much better in Japan but he never reached these heights again in the US or UK charts.
- Steve Huey from AllMusic
- Odyssey is a more subdued, polished collection seemingly designed for mainstream radio airplay. Vocalist Joe Lynn Turner gives the set a smooth, professional feel, and Yngwie Malmsteen’s playing is more mellow, due partly to the fact that he was still recovering from his near-fatal car accident when the album was recorded. However, all of this works to the detriment of the music: the mellowness of Malmsteen’s guitar work makes him sound constrained and passionless, and the album shows little difference in approach from his previous output, lending credence to critics’ charges that Malmsteen plays with mindless technique at the expense of substance, fire, and emotion.
- Kerrang review by Mick Wall:
For Further Information:
- Comments about the show? Things you’d like us to cover? We’d love to hear from you. Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or @ us on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram.