- Welcome to our new Bulgarian, Russian, and Swedish listeners who joined us this past week! That gives us listeners from 16 different countries!
- We went a little long last week. Wanted to make sure we were thorough. We’ll try to tighten it up a little bit this week. Or should we not worry? Let us know what you think!
- Continuing to get support and kind words from @sabbathbloodypc on Twitter — check his show out if you want a deep dive into the history and music of Black Sabbath!
- Mike Ladano (who has a great music blog at mikeladano.com, @MikeLadano on Twitter) had a nice back and forth about his review on the Deep Purple – In Rock (Anniversary Edition). Check it out at mikeladano.com. Spoiler: he gives it 6/5 stars!
- More listener feedback: Who are we? Where do we come from? What’s our story?
- People want to know what we’re all about and honestly, it never occurred to me that anyone would care.
- A little about us . . .
John’s Notes From The Field:
- Recent Whitesnake show in Lincoln, RI on Saturday, May 11.
History Leading Up to The Book of Taliesyn:
The Book of Taliesyn Album Review
- Based on “The Book of Taliesin” a collection of Welsh poems from the 14th century, some dating back to the 10th century, maybe some as old as the 6th century by a poet named Taliesin.
- John Vernon Lord’s blog post about the artwork.
- Listen, Learn, Read On (Blackmore, Evans, Lord, Paice)
- Wring That Neck (Blackmore, Simper, Lord, Paice)
- Kentucky Woman (Neil Diamond)
- (a) Exposition (b) We Can Work It Out (Blackmore, Simper, Lord, Paice/Lennon, McCartney)
- Shield (Blackmore, Evans, Lord)
- Anthem (Lord, Evans)
- River Deep, Mountain High (Jeff Barry, Ellie Greenwich, Phil Spector)
History After Release:
In The News . . .
- Deep Purple Announces US Leg of The Long Goodbye Tour
- Will we see them?
- Glenn Hughes on the Eddie Trunk Podcast (May 8, 2019)
- Starts around the 40 minute mark
- Discusses his shows playing Deep Purple Material and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame awkwardness with current members
- Saturday it was reported that Glenn Hughes cancelled his UK tour as he is ill – wishing him all the best. Said to not be life threatening but something that needs immediate attention.
- Rainbow to Release another Single on May 17 – “The Storm”
- This is a “rocked up” version of a Blackmore’s Night track
- Blackmore’s Night – The Storm
This Week in Purple History . . .
May 20 through May 26
- May 22, 1974, live performance that would be “Live in London.”
- May 23, 1984, Nobody’s Perfect live performance.
- We go a little deeper with these on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to highlight these landmark events
Deep Purple Mystery Track!
For Further Information:
- Deep Purple: A Matter of Fact by Jerry Bloom
- Smoke on the Water: The Deep Purple Story
- The Road of Golden Dust: The Deep Purple Story 1968-1976 by Jerry Bloom
- Deep Purple & Rainbow – Every Album, Every Song 1968-1979 by Steve Pilkington
- Comments about the show? Things you’d like us to cover? We’d love to hear from you. Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or @ us on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram.